Welcome to my attempt at sharing the regular mistakes I make in the kitchen. I'm constantly telling friends that I am a disaster in the kitchen, but they rarely believe me, so here is my proof. Step-by-step examples of how I ruin a perfectly good dish. Even though I ruin meals on a regular basis I still love to cook. And I am DETERMINED to become a good cook, or you know, at least make food that is edible on a regular basis.

***All stories are true and not exaggerated.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

My kitchen tips: How I store my recipes

Okay, so I have had the hardest time over the years trying to come up with the best system for organizing the recipes I collect from the Internet.  I did the whole box thing.  The impossibly high stack thing.  I even *briefly* considered copying them all down on recipe cards and filing them away (but understandably I nixed that idea pretty quick.)  I figured it I didn't have time to cook dinner most of the time, there was no way I was going to be able to come up with enough time to copy down recipes that I already had in print form.

So this is what I did:

For the index cards I already had I got a photo album that fit the 4x6 photos and stuffed them all in that.


And for the 8 1/2 x 11 that I have I separated into 3 binders.  I have one of all main dishes, one for everything else, and one of recipes, separated by tabs into categories, that I have not made yet.  This way I can keep organized and on top of the sheets of paper.  I have found that this works best for me.  Plus then I can put the binder in my trusty recipe stand, easel, holder thingy.



No comments: